Today my heart is sad and broken for the Reed family. Their sweet mother, friend, sister, aunt, grandma, co-worker, sister in Christ will be laid to rest today. As Marsha's life is remembered, I can't help but be rejoicing with her/for her as well, as she is now present with the Lord. His word says that such a homecoming is "precious."
Marsha had a way about her. As I have said to many people....Marsha remembered every birthday. She didn't just call, she sent you a confetti filled card with gum in it along with her thoughts for you to have a great day. I don't know about the rest of you, but when my cards came in the mail, they were LOADED with confetti. Not the big stuff either. I had the fine dusting stuff that stayed with you and on you for days! What a way to make people smile! It always worked! So what do you think was at her viewing? Yes, confetti. I couldn't think of something more appropriate.
It is ironic that the only two "constants" in this life are the very things we are afraid of and/or have the most difficult time dealing with: Death and Change. Probably because these two often go hand in hand, are closely related, or first comes one and then another in no particular order.
So, as I am writing I feel very conflicted. In one way I just want to cry, and keep crying as memories surface of all the great times we had together and interactions we have had. In another way, I wish I could be there supporting the family and grieve with them, for it is for them that my heart breaks. They have such a long road ahead, and as anyone knows who have walked it before or walked along side someone....it is often up and down, troubled, and filled with joys unexpected all at once. Regardless of any "phase" you go through, it hurts. All of it. I am praying for you Lindsay, Paul and TJ. For you and your families. For the days ahead. The holidays. For every "first" for everything that she won't be here for.
Lastly, a third conflicting emotion. I have such a peace inside of me. A confidence in a sovereign God who knows every single breath we take, hair on our head, and day we have here. I don't always understand and don't always accept this, but I do believe in God. In Jesus. In the fact that the grave (because of Jesus) is OVERWHELMED. The Victory is WON. She lived every single day that He gave her. Not one more, or one less. Some may say that is heartless, but I say that is Sovereignty. That is Mercy. None of us "deserve" anything. But a good and gracious God- Jesus, has given us far more than we deserve, and His complete control over every thing, every situation, should provide us with a peace that no one can take. Do I always understand? No. I wish I did. But I have come to trust him more and more through surrender to Him every day in these two things we have never controlled, nor never will.
Rest in peace, Marsha. We will see you again, and I can't wait to see what kind of Confetti they threw up in heaven this time- for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment