When we were young, my mom loved garage sales. Loved may be an inadequate word, but for the sake of time and my mom not proofing this, we'll leave it at that. She once had a key chain that had tire marks on pavement and a quote saying: "I brake for ALL garage sales." (you get the picture) Now, I am not dogging on this. I was the recipient of many a "steals" and following the wise words from above, I now can see the "influence" she had on me. I have become just like her.
I would like to say that, as a stay at home mom, I sit at home and darn socks, sew or iron on patches on the knees of jeans, and knit all our sweaters and things. I'm not going to lie. Such is NOT the case. I love to crochet scarves and hats, but nothing else. I would even go so far to admit to you that I have a brand new sewing machine from my wedding still in the box, in storage. As far as sewing, my mom DID try to "influence" me at one time in 4-H. It was a disaster. She had great intentions, but I chose "singing" over "Singer."
Moving on.....I love using things like Amazon, Ebay, and Craigslist, to find things when you just don't have the time or energy to plot out a course with the paper. It's the "new" garage sale-ing of my day. My latest quest was for a bike and a bike trailer. We recently moved and have a 4 mile track that begins 1/4 mile from our house. We LOVE it! Anyhow, I drove up our street one day and there was a Schwinn bike out by the road for sale. When I stopped, the lady who owned it, said she had undergone some major leg/foot surgery and wouldn't be able to use it. If I wanted it, she would give it to me for $25. !!!! She had a little girl (thus the big gray grocery-getter looking thing off the back) who had a special seat that attached to the back. They had used it twice since she bought it last Christmas. I then found a bike trailer on Craigslist for $70, that looked brand new. The folks who owned it had used it four times before their children outgrew it.
Bike Purchased: $25
Retail: $300-350
Savings: $275
Bike Trailer Puchased: $70
Retail: $385 (USED on AMAZON)
Savings: $315
Total Saved: $590
LOVE IT!!!!
Aaron teases me about my "granny" looking bike, but with some minor adjustments- she'll be a beauty! =) Plus, the bike trailer also converts to a double stroller with a rotating wheel in the front and folds completely flat. Great for walking or jogging. With those kind of savings, I am not complaining!
Great deals! I'm a bargain shopper, too, as my husband would readily attest to :)
ReplyDelete