With water in hand, shaking from head to toe, I sat down exhausted to write.
I have just finished a drenching workout that required me testing my physical strength that isn't quite there yet. Thinking to myself, "I need to develop these muscles again, but how?" My upper body just isn't as strong as it once was, but I completed a one minute plank with mountain climbers to keep my mind distracted.
My kids did plenty of that too. Distracting. At times my frustration level with them caused me to break a sweat worse than the workout. Biting my tongue to avoid expanding my kids' vocabulary on words that are not pure. I sang a song. A praise song. For the love...I hate times of testing. Or tests. Or things that leave me feeling like I've somehow missed it. Or wanting. It's amazing what can happen when we lay down the tape of comparison and draw on the immeasurable goodness of Jesus.
So many times I've faced that question, "I need to...but how?" Filling in the blank with measurable things that often leave me frustrated. Doing other things to keep my mind distracted. But the result? is often the opposite of Joy. Discouraged. Regretting what I have. Looking over at greener pastures.
I was recently selected to be a part of a book launch team for author Jen Hatmaker's new book, "For the Love..." I've spoken those words thousands of times and was elated to find a sister who shared the "love" and soul-deep honesty that we long for. Her book comes out in August of this year, and her message is SO VERY timely. You're gonna love it...and no, I'm not paid to say that. Promise. They resound with what I am learning right now in the season I'm in with Littles.
Today as I was working out, I heard these words through the instructor: "Don't measure it...just be thankful for it."
Freedom. Palpable freedom.
"Don't measure it..." Sounds similar to some other simple, yet power-filled words from Scripture..."My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor. 12:9. Praise You, Lord, that You are not a God who measures, but You are One who is sufficient in every circumstance! Enough. Filling the glass to just the right level.
I'm choosing thankfulness. And Joy. And Yoga Pants. Definitely Yoga Pants. Maybe some coffee too.
If you needed these words today, here's a hug from me. I'll be your biggest cheerleader, but look to Him for your strength. He will not fail you. He is enough for You. Me. And you and me again, each and every time we need Him.
As spring is coming on full force, my Tulips are doing their 'thang breaking ground. The other flowers are doing theirs. Be like the flowers, sweet friend. Don't measure or compare fellow sojourner...just bloom right where YOU are planted. And wear your yoga pants. You have permission. (*Just make sure to cover your hinderlands. That's a must...for all of us.)

No comments:
Post a Comment