I went outside today to get Aaron and Cade in for dinner. Cade was at the neighbors house and Aaron was chatting with another neighbor right outside our front door. It was a divine appointment.
Anyhow, "Lisa" begins to tell me a little of herself, her dog, her husband and her recent back surgery.....all in that order. It was really awesome b/c I noticed her looking at my head and I caught a glimpse of my shadow and that was when
I noticed that I had forgotten my wig, but thankfully had a scarf on. (Just didn't want to scare the neighbor kids who have started coming down)
So I said, "Hey I don't mean to make you uncomfortable, but I just realized that you haven't seen me w/o my hair........but I am recovering from breast cancer and going thru treatment. Didn't want to draw attention to it, but I did see you looking and thought I would let you know that I am not contageous! lol"
She laughed with us and as Aaron left the conversation (as she started getting a little detailed w/ some questions) I just began telling her about the Lord and what He has done for me in my life and ended with what He is doing thru this story. I told her that she is loved just as she is, but with that love we have to realize our sinfulness before a loving Father who is ready and willing to forgive and create something new and beautiful within us. She said that she just didn't deserve it, and I assured her that I didn't either, but that is the beauty of a pure and unselfish love. We recieve something that we don't deserve and out that is a beautiful picture of grace. She asked what that was and I told her that grace was unmerited favor- not getting what we truly deserve, but also getting something we don't deserve in return- that wonderful crazy love and grace. She said, and I quote: "When I talk bad about people, I know that is wrong. I feel guilty about it. When I swear, I feel even worse. Why would He waste His time on me?" I told her the only thing I could think of. That if He would waste His time on someone like me, then He would do the same for her. We have never in this world seen such an unselfish love like this that it is difficult to believe that it exists. But, it isn't a waste. He sees you full of worth in His eyes and He created you down to the hairs on your head or the lack on mine and He wants you back. Back from a world that has stolen something precious.....His creation. She started sobbing. She asked if she could come again, and could we maybe start walking together. She has a friend ( "L" if you could remember to pray for her) who is struggling w/ breast cancer as well and is very angry.
I got in the house shortly after that and thought......"You were right Lord. I would have never planned that conversation with a neighbor before, or been so open and bold. But it isn't about me. It's all about You. I am humbled you used me and you were right.........there is something wonderful happening in all of this. Your purpose....."
awesome testimony Erin....
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome Erin. Bless you for letting God use you in that way. <3
ReplyDelete