Don't you just LOVE finding something new....about something that you "thought" you knew about?
I sure do! Nothing gives me greater joy.
This past week I started (along with a group of ladies) the "Patriarchs" bible study by Beth Moore. I find her work refreshing, anointed and simply inspiring!
Smack dab in the middle of our homework, as she is talking of Abraham and NOT Moses- (as I was telling this to the worship team last evening -wouldn't Beth be so proud? Duh moment) she mentions Ur, the land that God called Abraham to leave, along with Haran- where they stopped at his father-in-law Terah's suggestion. Their destination goal was Canaan but they never reached it in Terah's lifetime. Terah died in Haran, but THEN Abraham continued on the Canaan. This story can be found in Genesis 12.
So, what is so awesome about this little passage of history retold? I am going to copy right out of the book/study...so here goes....
"Consider all things "Terah" could represent as you read the following quote by F.B. Meyer..."It becomes us to be very careful as to whom we take with us in our pilgrimage. We may make a fair start from our Ur; but if we take Terah with us, we shall not go far....Let us all beware of that fatal spirit of compromise which tempts us to tarry where beloved ones bid us to stay. 'Do not go to extremes,' they cry; 'we are willing to accompany you on your pilgrimage, if you will only go as far as Haran...'"
Hear me well....I am not telling you to throw out everything your "loved ones" tell you to do, nor am I suggesting everyone by the name of Terah (or the substitute person's name you think of) is evil and trying to side track you. Rather, I am suggesting that we look at a simple principle that calls to us and encourages us to GO the Distance. Don't let fear, OR people distract you from where the LORD is calling you.
As always, never try to make scripture fit your life/decisions. Take the Lord at His word and in context draw from the wellspring of truth and life. Ask Him HIS will for you life.
A wise and sweet woman once told me to " Make your life align and fit what the scripture is saying, not the other way around to justify our actions."
I loved the encouragement from this week.....Go the distance.
It's like opening presents on Christmas morning. I asked the Lord to show me great and marvelous things from His word this year as I cruised on thru the Bible in a year and He has....every.single.day. Run with me friends....and lets GO the distance.
No comments:
Post a Comment