I have a little secret.
To some, it may not be much.
I have told two people about my little idea, but they don't know that I've already started.
This year I get to celebrate my 33rd birthday. I feel about 60 most days. Regardless of my fleeting feelings or pains, I am THRILLED to celebrate life. Life abundantly. Abundant living.
My crazy plan began about the beginning of the year. I am endeavoring to come up with 33 random acts of kindness that I can give to others as my present to myself. To be honest, I was having some difficulty at first coming up with things I could do for someone, to someone, or just plan help with. I needed to start somewhere so I began with number 1. Then 2. Then I lost count. They came faster than I could keep track of.
I had decided to give myself this early gift because my birthday weekend falls on a holiday weekend and is crazy busy for our family.
You get the picture...nutzo.
This has been the BEST gift ever. Seriously. You each need to try it. Come up with stuff. Make some stuff. Need ideas? I'll share a few...
First I began going through every closet, nook and cranny I could find to de-clutter my home. I loved my stuff. I "needed" my stuff. I re-homed my stuff to individuals who needed it more.
I gave away my favorite purse to a stranger who said they liked it.
I made a purchase and gave a $$$ tip.
Helped push an invalid in his wheelchair as his elderly wife brought the car around. He asked me to go fast, so I did. (We both about got killed but) what a blast!
Picked up the neighbors trash and trashcans blowing around our street on a windy day.
In that moment, in the breeze, I heard His whisper...this is life. Living abundantly.
I don't always have those God moments, but I know He's there.
Why shouldn't I give away my stuff to others? Sometimes when we give, it doesn't hurt so we begin to grow accustomed to that feeling of giving without hurting and think that maybe when we give, it should never hurt.
I don't think Jesus gave a painless sacrifice.
As I mentioned, I have lost track. I have never had so many moments that just took my breath away; that I felt the very presence of the Lord; that I felt like I was beginning to see things as if for the first time. Each thing different. Happy people. Not so happy people. Grateful people, and not so grateful people. Either way they took it didn't matter to me.
My heartbeat picks up just a bit each time. I get that anticipation feeling when unwrapping each event. Like a Happy Birthday to me...everyday.
Makes this broken girl want to dance. Sing.
Sometimes I feel like a little girl again....with my little secret.
No comments:
Post a Comment