Today was Cade's Christmas party at school. It is so much fun to work on their little crafts, hand out the snacks and sort of get to stand on the sidelines and watch the kids interact. I just want to give a little shout out to all teachers: you all are saints and I could NEVER do your job. Your patience and your persistance with the kids is amazing and the fact that you come back year after year...well you earn an award in my book! I was ready for a break, nap or something about the 6th time I got the little sticky jewel things for the foam Christmas trees stuck in my fake manicured nails; then there was the attitudes that made me want to write a naughty/nice tattle-tale letter to Santa.
As I was cutting Aaron's hair he was asking about my shopping experience after the party. I wish I could make this stuff up.
While at Walmart I was patiently waiting for an elderly gentleman to walk out the doors. Apparently he thought I was following a little close because he turns around and hocks a wad of "disgustingness" right at my feet. I stood still in disbelief causing a back up, all the while deciding how to navigate around "it". Let me just say...super gross.
Driving from Cade's school to the city, I passed a minivan who was in the other lane. About a mile down the road, as he is passing me, he honks his horn and (I am NOT kidding) sticks his tongue out at me, waves at me and then cuts me off. Seriously? Is he five years old?
This one topped it off.....While at Famous Footwear, I was at the register with my purchases when this older woman walks up and swats my behind and gives me a pinch, then apparently had a "coming to her senses" moment and realized that I wasn't "sweetie" (hopefully her daughter), but some innocent woman she just violated. ???? Not sure about that one....I don't remember my own mom doing that except with the yardstick, standing in line with my siblings because we all usually had it coming, but in a store and being VERY familiar, well lets just say things were a little "awkward".
It was time for me to take my "behind back to the beehive". So home we went.
I am in the middle of a Bible Study called "Jonah: Navigating a Life Interrupted." Appropriate, I thought. Life is full of them: navigating around spit balls, Someone sticking their tongue out at me, or a good "pinch". Either way they are all interruptions and depending on how I handle them...well, that determines my own outcome.
The author of the study said this, "If you find yourself balking at God's instructions in your life, it is an indication of the importance you place on God and His will." Ouch.
Navigating through this world of distractions and interruptions puts me in a focused and humble place. The above question from the author is like shining a spotlight on my hearts motives and my wants/desires. How we react in each and every situation whether it be the store, getting pinched, or through things like cancer is often very telling.
I focused in on this last little story from the shoe store:
I had just sat down to try on shoes, while Cade jumped on and off the couch. There was a woman trying on some shoes beside us when Cade said, "mom, you have the same shoes at home!" She asked me how I liked them. She was getting a pair to walk around Disney World and was looking forward to the distraction it provided after experiencing some heartache, and while we were talking Cade says, "My mom had cccaannnnccceeerrr" very loud, as if she couldn't hear. I certainly wasn't going to share my life story with a stranger, but I did admit it was true. I wanted to encourage her in some way. Not knowing what to say, I simply told her that I hoped she had a wonderful time and to enjoy what she had in front of her. I mentioned that if I had learned anything this year, it was to not dwell on what I didn't have, or what I wanted, but what I DID have right in front of me. It was/is a precious gift.
Don't be discouraged when you/we find ourselves falling short next to the Word of God. Let it be a reminder that God is not only a God who heals and restores, but is the author of do-overs and He gives us chance after chance for the "Take 2" moments.
Don't quit, just....take 2. It's Gods gift that keeps on giving.
No comments:
Post a Comment