Reviews & Such things!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Small stuff.....

As most of you know...I have talked often about Black Humor. The kind of humor where most people just shake their head and think you're nuts! Yes, some of you know what I am talking about......I am almost believing that everyone has it....but it takes the right circumstances to bring it out. Who knows?

Yesterday morning I was running late. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that I had to drive over and wake up my babysitter....not sure, but either way I was not going to be on time. No worries. If there is something I have realized lately, don't sweat the small stuff and this totally classified as "small" in comparison to most people's problems. So, I just did the best I could without speeding (for Erik H. and Jimmy M.) =)

I was getting ready to get out of the car and it begins to POUR down rain. The kind that is sorta blinding. "Small" stuff happening here, so I press on into the hospital drenched, and in flip flops only to wipe-out in the foyer. Believe me when I say that there is NO possible way to fall with grace. It was a total yard sale. I did what any normal person would do, or at least I have been told, and exercised my self control long enough to pick up my stuff, get up off the floor, and walk down the hall to radiation. And then I just lost it and cracked up laughing! A suppressed laugh comes out with the force of a locomotive and it sounds just as attractive. I was able to get it together and be treated. They had a LONG wait yesterday as well so that helped pull it together! =)

My last visit with Dr. C was yesterday. I have to still see the girls until Friday, but was I ever so glad to shake his hand and thank him for all of his awesome help and care! Teresa, Darla, Liberty, Paula, and Julie have done a remarkable job and once again I was blessed to meet amazing people who do such a difficult job with love and care. Makes people like "Sue", "Ed", myself, and countless of other people so thankful that they do what they do.

Aaron's family had a surprise visit from his sister. He and Mark have a half sister that they have never met, at least as adults. I believe they may have met each other when Aaron was VERY small, but he has no recollection. Out of the blue she called, mere hours away, and asked to see us. I'll be honest, it wasn't as awkward as I thought but still a little strange. How do you talk about 25-30 years of stuff with out things being a little on the uncomfortable side. Cade came to the rescue and broke the ice by asking embarrassing questions straight out of the gate. Humility paves the way for more than we realize.

Yes, there is never a dull moment in the Shafer Household. I heard a great analogy this week. Someone mentioned that there are several people in this world who appear to have a life similar to a lush green pasture with a beautifully manicured fence line, while others have what looks like the broken down, mountainous and rocky pasture that someone staked with a "no trespassing" sign for safety, and with carefully hung used tires to create a barrier of sorts. Somehow, you don't really get to choose which "land" you will possess. Regardless of the circumstances, both are of great worth and value and require work of different kinds to "maintain." It is visibly obvious in the one pasture to see the time and strength it takes to maintain, the courage to defend, support, fix, etc. Yet, hidden within the rocky and difficult trails of the mountain-like pasture land are treasures untold. To expose the natural beauty of both depends on the heart of the owner, their ability to persevere, and their diligence in overcoming the small stuff......one step at at time.

No comments:

Post a Comment