Today is my 100th post.
Quite an accomplishment actually- one that I never really set out to do, or even thought to write down to "accomplish."
Isn't that funny how life does that to us? When I started this blog, I had NO idea what I would write about, or that I would actually "like" writing. I couldn't figure out who (besides family) would read my musings about life, love, and living a life of godliness.
So here I sit. Rain is pouring down outside. Aaron is at school. Cade is home from his school and watching TV. I have just finished a couple of loads of laundry and am about to tackle the ironing. I should be cleaning or something more constructive, but that can wait. I decided to write about a little something....
Something called: Friendship
We all have them. Know some. Love many, dislike a few. They are many things to us and have the ability to carry many hats all at a time. Friends. Dependable, strong, bold, loving, thoughtful, energizing, encouraging and down right maddening at times. Don't you just love them?
This past year, I have been the recipient of the blessings that come from friendships. Childcare, meals, letters, phone calls, hugs, laughter, tears, help cleaning the house, just sitting down with me, praying, encouraging, and even helping me dress. While some of these things are limited to specific times in our life, many of these things carry through and over a lifetime.
Friendships take time. Trust. Nurturing.
I have been silly enough to let hurt feelings and unforgiveness live with me long enough to almost destroy a "best" friendship. The funny thing is, is that even in their absence (however long) no one or no one thing can replace them. That's what takes them to the "best" category.
It takes: time on the phone, laughing until your sides ache, Listening and knowing when to talk or when to shut up, Forgiving all the little things that can bring a big thing down, like a friendship, And forgiving all the big things as well.
Yes, I have learned a lot about frienship- particularly as it is mentioned in 1 Corinthians..."...Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." 13:4-8
Does that sound familiar? It's very popular at weddings, yet actually is talked about directly after dealing with "we are all one body." Perhaps there was division in the church that the Apostle Paul was writing about. Perhaps there was just some discussion. Either way, it stands today as a template of which all friendships (and marriage) should be molded after. I WANT this type of friendship and am striving to BE that type of friend.
The difficult part? Well........me. Self. Pride. Hang-ups. We all have them. BUT....we don't have to live by the old self any more AFTER we are made new in Christ. He is in the restoring business and He rehabs the flunks- like me, after we have fallen and can't get back up again.
As I write, I keep thinking of the Judd's song, "Love can build a bridge." Remember that one? Well, besides the tune being crooned over and over, and then stuck in my mind, I cannot help but recognize the truth that lies in the first words of the chorus: "Love can build a bridge, between your heart and mine....don't you think it's time?"
You know what is under a bridge? A lot of water.
Learning to love myself has taught me how to love like a friend should. It took being scarred and bald for me to come to the end of "me," and see so much more, like building bridges instead of trying to find another way around.
Let the water alone. Let it stay under the bridge. Hold fast to the words of Pauls letter to us in God's word. Don't hold a record of wrong. Jesus doesn't. If we are striving to be more like Him, than we are going to start seeing evidences of Him in everyday life, including our friendships.
And just so you know, there ARE times when closure doesn't come. Unfortunately I have learned that too. But learn from this as well... Love THEM and YOURSELF enough to let it go. Build bridges where you can. Don't ever try to burn them. Forgiving them and yourself is actually for you- not them. It allows you to move on and heal. It affords you the opportunity to overcome the many obstacles that come with "messy" friendships.
The friends that hurt us the most are often the ones we have loved the most. Sometimes the truth hurts so much that it can divide, if we let it. Other times we hurt each other out of our own hurt. (Sad, isn't it?)
Friends have played a vital role in my life this past year. That is why I am dedicating this 100th post to you...... my friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment