I used to be a very fearful person. Still working on that. A lot of people- myself included- felt that I had good reason to be with the various roads my life has taken this far. Since I knew this about myself, I just sort of took things for granted and excused this sin in my life- and yes, I mean sin- and continued to be a "good" Christian. We all have the makings of being a "great" one- if there is such a thing. Faithful is a better word I think.
This past week, I was reading scripture and it came to mind over and over....."Be anxious for nothing..."
"Do not worry....." "Fear not...." These are just a few commands that I read over and suddenly I realized something. I had characterized my life so closely to look like fear, that when something really fearful is staring me in the eye, I had to repent of this to the Lord. I didn't like what I saw, not because I was concerned with what others thought about me, but my life, when laid out next to scripture was found lacking. I came up short, dreadfully short. We serve a forgiving God. He forgives even before we ask, but the reason we still need to ask is so that our prideful hearts will be humbled enough and in position for His unmerited favor- that's grace people! And so that the relationship will be restored- nothing in between- to where He desires it to be so.
I, in NO way, feel that this situation is in any way "because" of my sin. There are times when the Lord allows things in our lives to bring us to the point of forgiveness, and even to strengthen our faith. Take for instance a young tree. Did you know that the tree is just as large underground, as it is above? Do you know what makes the roots grow? The WIND. The force against it. Pressure. Trial. The weak trees break. The strong trees fight against the wind and the roots grow down deep. This is so parallel to our lives in Christ. When trials come, yes- I want to give up. I want to break in two. It feels as if I am and you begin to doubt....but, when you realize that He has brought you through before, or though a fierce wind and it/you didn't break-there is your hope. Rooted in Christ Jesus. Sometimes when a tree has been wind whipped so much, it can start to grow in a bend fashion- not as it was intended. It is those times when the Master Gardener will come and put a stake into the ground and tie the bent branch to it. It is that trees job at that point to grow straight. Resting in the arms of the "string". So, when the winds of fears and doubts subside for a time, you know that you know that you know- God IS good. He will NEVER leave you. With Him NOTHING is impossible. Though no one but the Master Gardener can tell- you are living and learning...
1 God is our refuge and strength,
ReplyDeletean ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.[c]
4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
5 God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.
6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
7 The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Look at verse 5 Erin!! God will help her at the break of day...I see better mornings in your future. Claim the victory :-)) You are an inspiration!
Love you bunches.
Dawn