Today I had an appointment with the Oncologist.
It was in a lot of ways a relief to know the course of action.
I could bore you all to tears with the medical explanation, but I will save you and give you the short 411.....
Tomorrow I go to have genetic blood tests done, and a heart test to ensure my heart health is prep-ed for Chemo. Within the next week I will have a small surgery to get my Chemo port in....they say it should be a 20 min. out-pt. procedure. Then in approx. 2 wks. I will begin Chemo. It will start w/ 8 weeks and a series of 4 infusions spread over that. Then I will have 12 weeks of 1 infusion per week. Followed by radiation (not sure how long for that) and 7 years of hormone therapy. All of the above, combined with exercise will lower my risk down to > < 7-15% of having a reoccurring within the next 10 years.
I have a PET Scan in 6 weeks...allowing for more healing for a more accurate read. LORD WILLING it is NO where else. The Dr. doesn't believe it is, but it will be good to see some concrete evidence.
Knowing all of this cuts the fear of the unknown in half. yes, I am terrified at times. He told me that w/in two weeks of starting Chemo I will be bald. Wow! The tears come just thinking of it. Mainly because I don't feel sick, but will see another tangible example of reality- no chest and now a bald head. I had a friend go with me today and I looked at her and thought- Am I really here? Seriously? The next youngest patient was about in their upper 60's.
As for a timeline- in about 5-6 months I will be done with Chemo and moving towards radiation. The bright side will be my hair growing back as well! Reconstruction will take place after Chemo and Rad. are done, along with a hyster. later this year. It seems crazy, but you get in a mindset that if they can take one more thing to give just a little bit less percentage on your side....you become very willing to do just about whatever is necessary. Lord willing w/i this year I will be completely through all my treatments and surgeries.
My prayer is specifically:
-for the Drs to have wisdom
-for my health, no infections, no problems (and that of my family)
-that my body receive the chemo and radiation well w/ NO adverse side effects and minimal effects at all.
-That the Lord receive all the Glory for each and every step.
-That many will come to the Lord through this.
-And finally that we will all see a healing in my body before our eyes and believe in the goodness of God, here in the land of the living, that He is here and still does miracles today.
Thank you from the bottom of my tearful, thankful, broken heart for all of your prayers thus far and for the future. We wait for you, Lord....
You are amazing and what a wonderful husband and precious son! Thoughts and prayers coming your way.
ReplyDelete